Chegg Champ Commisions

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired

I haven't been in the blogosphere for very long. Actually, I'm not even sure if my piddly little blog would count as a part of the blogosphere. Maybe I'm just floating around in space making little side trips to different spots that amuse me. And lately, as you can probably tell by most of my posts, I've been visiting a lot of progressive blogs.

I visit the feminist blogs because I'm very concerned with the way women are portrayed in the media. Through these blogs, I've also learned that there is a lot more going on concerning women's issues that often get glossed over or outright ignored in the mainstream media. Also, I've learned that feminists can get very bitchy if you don't agree with them 100%.

(Yeah, I said "bitchy". It's not like I had any pull in the feminist community anyway.)

It just seems as though there are these tenets you absolutely must follow in order to call yourself a true feminist. If you disagree with just one of them, then your ideals are questioned. I call bullshit.

Also, as a woman of color, I find that there are times when women of color - Asian women, Black women, Latina women, Hispanic women - are being disenfranchised, but I don't see White feminists rising up in arms like they should be. More often than not, it's not considered a feminist problem, but a POC (People of Color) problem. I've learned that I'm not the only person who feels this way. This problem has been occuring since the height of the feminist movement in the sixties, which is why many Black feminists refer to themselves as womanists rather than feminists.

Speaking of racial issues, I also like to visit anti-racism blogs. Not only do I like to see what's going on in the Black community, but I like to know about the Asian community, the Native American community, and the Latino community. Many of the stories that are shared are, of course, muted in mainstream media.

I read these blogs because I love to feel the passion through the writer's words. I read blogs telling stories of racial injustice and I remember the stories that my parents told me about seperate washrooms and movie theaters and how my dad sat on his front porch watching the National Guard tanks roll by during the riot after the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was shot. I remember how it felt it felt the first time someone called me a nigger. (I remember how it felt the next time someone called me a nigger and I hit him in the face with my purse!)

I read the feminist blogs and I look at advertisments and television in a new light. (Is it really necessary to put a half-naked woman in a commercial just to sell anti-stink spray to men?) When I'm in a store or walking down the street, I'm not afraid to tell a guy to get lost if he says something nasty to me. If I see something lewd or offensive, I will say "that's not right."

And that's the part that gets so tiring. To me, it's just common sense: Racism, sexism, discrimination, and oppression occur on a daily basis and we need to stand up and fight back. I do understand that it's not a part of everyone's life. However, what I don't understand is why people don't see that it is a part of other people's lives. What frustrates me the most aren't ignorant dumbass trolls, it's the apologists.

Apologists are the ones who will say that a racially motivated action wasn't a racially motivated action because - and then they'll offer up some stupid dumbass excuse that shows the rest of the world that they've been living under a rock for all their miserable lives. Apologists are also the ones that will attempt to gloss over the blows of misogyny by - what else? - blaming the victim! Racist apologists like to toss out that their Black friend, Mexican roommate, and Asian wife totally agrees with them. Chauvinist apologists will whine about child support payments and not being able to know whether a not a girl (yes, girl) is too drunk to consent to sex. Here's a clue: If you have to ask: Just keep it in your pants! Both types of apologists like to throw out statistics, dates, and quotes that they googled moments earlier in order to try to make their point. They are so set on the notion that they are right and we - as women, as people of color, as the ones who have lived through this shit daily - could not possibly know what the hell we are talking about, that they completely tune us out.

Just like in the real world, right?

So we offer anecdoctal information. But they offer some lameass statistics that some 13 year-old posted on Wikipedia. We offer family history. They say it has nothing to do with the topic at hand, and they want proof that said racism/sexism/elitism/oppression does exist.

Again, I call bullshit.

I already know that it exists because I see it and I live it. And I'm not wasting anymore time trying to get through your thick skull to make you see beyond your "white is right", "strong male species" world view. I know that there are people in this world, in this society, that are disenfranchised.

Now prove to me that there aren't.

2 comments:

LeftAlign said...

Just read this post thinking it was a response to today's thread on The Angry Black Woman, but then realised you wrote it a week ago!

The dumb-ass trolls, the apologists, the people who can't (or won't) see that oppression is a big part of other people's lives, the refusal to believe anecdotes, the demand for proof, links, evidence. It's all there. You are a clairvoyant! Or perhaps you've just been sick and tired of being sick and tired for far, far too long.

JenniferRM said...

An amen and thanks, leftaligh, for quoting Fannie Lou Hammer because her due is not really told but it took a white woman to write her biography.

At least her story was told so I should not hate and appreciate!