Chegg Champ Commisions

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Reading Project

I've volunteered for an interesting assignment: As you may or may not know, I work in a residential facility for juvenile offenders. The facility just received a large donation of books and board games from one of the local high schools. Before we can put the books into the facility library for ciculation, however, they need to be screened for "appropriate content". That includes sexual situations, graphic violence, drug use, and any situations that can be construed as being gang-related. Even though it seems silly that a movie like "West Side Story" wouldn't be able to get a pass, we serve a very specific group of youth. Besides, I don't make the rules. I just screen the material.

Anyway, some of the books were easy to screen by title or book jacket description alone. The Little Ballerina? Yes. A book about two characters meeting in an "adult toy store". No. Volcanoes and Other Natural Disasters. Yes. A book about the gadgets seen in the James Bond movies? Wait a sec - there's no way they'd get past the name Pussy Galore.

Since most of these actually have to be read before putting them into circulation, I thought it'd be an interesting idea to write about what I read. I'm going to start reading a couple of the books this weekend. Hopefully by this time next week, I'll have a review posted.

2 comments:

Eivind said...

I think this is really sad. I don't approve of censorship.

Angel H. said...

It is very unfortunate. However, many of these kids (some as young as 13) have committed violent crimes, including rape and homicide. It is believed by the administration that seeing certain portrayals in movies and books will be seen as an affirmation of violent and inappropriate behavior. But I do think that at some point, you have to show them that you trust them to do the right thing. Is it better to lead them by the collar or to guide them and allow them to make their own decisions?